Providing a radically pragmatic education since 1878, Champlain College is a small institution that offers big opportunities. We are not for profit. What we are for: innovation, social equity, interdisciplinary collaboration.
Champlain’s multidimensional approach pairs in-depth career learning with our renowned Core curriculum (designed to cultivate important habits of mind) and built-in financial literacy and career positioning program—providing a comprehensive educational experience unmatched in higher education. Our graduates enjoy uncommonly early career success: Within only six months of graduation, 91% of our Class of 2019 were employed or continuing their education.
How do we do it? Our curriculum is Upside-Down. Our faculty bring industry experience into the classroom. Our students learn by doing. We commit to a student experience that drives our graduates to thrive in the varied spaces where technology, creativity, and community intersect. Let us dare.
- FOUNDED: 1878
- MAIN CAMPUS LOCATION: Champlain’s stunning, main residential campus is located on 27 acres in Burlington, Vermont (214 miles to Boston. 104 miles to Montreal. 300 miles to New York City.)
- COLLEGE MOTTO: Audeamus (Let Us Dare)
- FOCUS: Career-focused programs and our distinctive, interdisciplinary liberal arts curriculum emphasize relevant, hands-on learning and a customized educational approach that creates a direct path to career success, lifelong learning, and a rewarding life.
- TRADITIONAL ON-CAMPUS UNDERGRADUATE ENROLLMENT: 2,100 full-time undergraduate students from 40 states and 18 countries
- MALE/FEMALE RATIO: 64% male, 36% female
- NUMBER OF CLUBS, ACTIVITIES, & ORGANIZATIONS: 50+
- ADDITIONAL CAMPUS LOCATIONS: Montreal, Canada, and Dublin, Ireland
- PERCENTAGE OF STUDENTS WHO STUDY ABROAD: 52%
- TOTAL AREAS OF STUDY: More than 90 subject areas are available to study on campus, including undergraduate majors, minors, and concentrations as well as online and on-campus graduate degree programs and certificates.
- UPSIDE-DOWN CURRICULUM: Unique educational structure enables first-year students to take significant courses in their major beginning in their first semester
- STUDENT/FACULTY RATIO: 12:1
- AVERAGE CLASS SIZE: 16 (maximum 30)
- FULL-TIME FACULTY: 118
- CLASSES TAUGHT BY FACULTY: 100%
- ACADEMIC SUPPORT/RESOURCES: 30+ study mentors, academic coaches, and embedded class tutors
- INDUSTRY-SPECIFIC CAREER COACHES: 4
- STUDENTS RECEIVING FINANCIAL AID: 90%
Accolades & Rankings
The 2021 Fiske Guide to Colleges selected Champlain as one of the “best and most interesting schools” in the United States, Canada, and Great Britain.
Champlain was named a “Most Innovative School” by U.S. News & World Report in its “America’s Best Colleges” 2021 ranking of universities in the North.
Named one of The Best 386 Colleges in America for 2021 by The Princeton Review.
You’ll have your pick of the finest residence halls, starting with our 21 beautifully restored Victorian-era mansions that surround the campus. All first-year students begin their college life in one of these homes, but many students find their distinctive charms so appealing they choose to stay for years.
For more modern surroundings, you’ll find contemporary suite-style residence halls on campus and in the surrounding Hill Section or in deluxe apartments with waterfront views in downtown Burlington—just a short walk from campus.
In addition to our home in Vermont, we have campuses in Montreal, Canada, and Dublin, Ireland—plus a mission and curriculum that encourage international study. More than 50% of our students spend time outside the United States, and many also intern during their semester abroad! Learn more on Champlain Abroad.
True learning occurs when information and experience combine to create knowledge.
An emphasis on career preparation and continuous self-improvement creates a direct path to professional success